Immigration Lawyer Michael Niren Quoted: Is Canada Losing Immigrant Investors to the United States?

Canada suspended the Immigrant Investor Program in the summer of last year to help the government tackle a massive backlog of applications. The program, which was extremely popular, allowed foreign nationals to invest at least $800,000 with the government in order to immigrate to Canada, something that provided an additional $2 billion to the Canadian economy annually. Canada Investor Immigration Program

According to Yahoo News, the government of Canada does not have any plans to re-open the Immigrant Investor Program, despite the fact that many of the qualified investors are now moving on to the United States, which offers permanent residence to applicants who invest $500,000 into government-designated investment funds using the EB-5 visa.

Immigration Lawyer Michael Niren Quoted in Yahoo News

Yahoo News Canada reached out to our own immigration lawyer Michael Niren, who said that while the Immigrant Investor Program was in need of some changes, suspending it wasn’t a good idea.

“The Federal Investor program was in many ways a broken program that suffered processing inefficiencies and inconsistent outcomes,” he said. “However it did bring in millions of investment dollars to Canada as well as valuable human capital especially through many of the dependent children of immigrant investors who became contributing members to Canada, economically and socially.”

He also went on to say that Canada should reshape the program to be more like the program that is available in the United States, where applicants must invest into businesses rather than give money to the government.

Are you interested in immigrating to Canada?

We can help you. We can also help you apply for the immensely popular EB-5 visa program in the United States  or the new Canadian Start Up Visa while the Immigrant Investor Program in Canada is suspended indefinitely.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago