Requirement Changes to the Live-in Caregiver Program
As recently reported in the Vancouver Sun – Immigration Minister Chris Alexander announced that the federal immigration department has dropped the live-in requirement from its caregiver program. The federal government has also divided the program, which offers permanent residence to caregivers after working two years in Canada, into 2 streams – Child Care and a new Health Care Provider category. It has also, for the first time, imposed a cap on the program of 5,500 per year, divided evenly between the two streams. The government typically receives about 4,500 applications per year through the program, according to a Citizenship and Immigration Canada news release.
The cap will allow the government to process new permanent resident applications from live-in caregivers within six months, instead of the current three years. This will reduce the time the mostly female caregivers are separated from their own families to about two and a half years. Caregivers must work for two years before they can apply for permanent resident status.
The government also announced an immigration target of between 260,000 and 285,000 for 2015, an increase of 19,000 over 2014. Economic immigrants — such as skilled workers, investors and entrepreneurs — will constitute 65% of overall admissions, with the remaining 35% divided between family class and refugees.
We will report more on this and other related immigration stories as the information becomes available.
Do You Wish to Apply for the Live-in Caregiver Program?
If you have immigration questions, VisaPlace is here to guide you through the immigration process. We work with qualified immigration lawyers who can help you with your Live-in Caregiver Program
application. Contact us to book a consultation.
The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.
I could not have asked for more! The VisaPlace team are extremely professional, they know their stuff. They gave me great information, prepared my work visa application and then prepared me for the submission process. I was successful. Got my visa. 5 stars! I would give them 6 if I could.
This is not an exaggeration!!! I was truly impressed with the way VisaPlace consultants handled my case. The consultants- Emily, Lauren, Takunda and Lisa, took their time to explain to me in great deal how they were going to approach my case and how they would handle setbacks, if any. Their professionalism and knowledge of the law were superb. The minor setback that came up was quickly addressed by the team. The team constantly kept me updated on the progress/status of my application; they quickly responded to my questions/concerns. They had predicated my permanent residency to be processed within 6 -12, and Indeed it was processed and completed within 6 months. Based on my personal experience, Emily and Lauren's team are the best! They deserve 5 stars!!!!!!!!!!!
VisaPlace helped me sponsor my husband to become a Permanent Resident of Canada. They were extremely professional. Every step along the way was explained fully and expertly taken care of. The staff responded immediately to any questions and always handled our concerns fully, taking as much time as we needed to understand where we were at in the immigration process and what to expect next. I would recommend VisaPlace with no hesitation at all. I'm sure if we had tried to navigate the immigration process ourselves, it would have been much harder.