Can I Get an L-Visa for the United States?


Did you know that if you are an employee of a foreign company and your employer decides to transfer you to the United States, you will still require a United States work visa? The visa for this particular situation is called the L1 work visa, and this visa is also available for business owners who wish to expand to the United States.

Understanding the L-Visa for the United States

An L1 visa can also lead to a United States green card, so this visa may be the perfect option for you depending on your circumstances. However, like all work visas for the United States there are several different requirements for obtaining one of these visas.

Requirements for Obtaining an L1 Work Visa

There are three main requirements that you must meet in order to obtain an L1 work visa. These requirements are:

L1 Work Visa Requirement 1

Applicants must be transferred from a foreign company that is related to the United States company, either as a joint venture partner, affiliate, a branch or a subsidiary. There are strict legal definitions surrounding these terms.

L1 Work Visa Requirement 2

The applicant must be in a specific position at the company, either as a person in a specialized knowledge position, an executive position or a managerial position.

L1 Work Visa Requirement 3

The applicant must have worked at the company on a full-time basis for at least one full year within the last three years to be considered.

Are You Interested in a L1 Work Visa for the United States?

If you are a foreign national who wishes to expand their business into the United States (including Canadian citizens) or you are a foreign national whose employer is transferring them to the United States, please contact our immigration law firm for assistance. VisaPlace can help you work in the United States on an L1 visa, or assist you in finding another visa type that will suit your needs if necessary. Contact us to book a consultation.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago