My employer is transferring me to the United States: What do I do?

Are you an employee who is being transferred to an office in the United States by your employer? Many foreign companies have branches or offices in the United States, so this is quite a common occurrence. However, even in a situation like this the employee will require a work permit in order to legally remain in the United States. L1 Visa for the United States 3

The visa that is applicable to this particular situation is the L1 visa for the United States. In order to apply for this visa, you need to meet certain requirements.

Requirements for the L1 visa for the United States

When applying for the L1 visa, it is vital that the employee being transferred from a company that has a specific relationship with the American company, and that they have worked there for at least one year. The company can be a branch, affiliate, parent company, joint venture partner or subsidiary for the applicant to qualify. They must also be in a certain position at the company, such as a manger or executive. Depending on their job position, the applicant’s L1 visa will be valid for five years or seven years, and there is also the potential for it to lead to permanent residency.

The foreign business must also remain actively in business during the time that the applicant is in the United States.

Are you being transferred to the United States?

Are you planning on expanding your business to the United States in the near future, and aren’t sure how to go about it? We are an award-winning immigration law firm that has been in business for over 15 years, and we offer both individual work visa services and corporate immigration services for the United States. If you need assistance or you have questions, please give us a call!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugh2 weeks ago

Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!

P Eyre2 weeks ago

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheong4 weeks ago