How can you work in the United States if your company is transferring you

If you work for a foreign company, and this includes a Canadian company, and your employer has decided to transfer you to the United States, you can work legally if you obtain the proper work permit first. In this situation, as well as in a situation where you are a business owner who wishes to expand their business to the United States, you can apply for the L-1 visaL-1 Visa for the United States 3

Please note there are two types of L-1 visa, the L-1A visa which is for managers and executives, as well as the L-1B visa which is for specialized knowledge employees.

The L-1 visa is a great visa because there are opportunities to extend it as well as eventually obtain permanent residence in the United States or a green card provided you meet the requirements.

What is required for the L-1 visa to work in the United States?

There are many different requirements for people who want to apply for an L-1 visa to work in the United States. These requirements include a properly completed L-1 visa application as well as all of the needed supporting documentation, but there’s also more.

There are strict legal definitions surrounding the relationship between the United States company and the foreign company. For example, the United States office must be a branch, affiliate, subsidiary or joint venture partner of the foreign company. In addition, the foreign company must still be operating while you have the L-1 visa.

Expanding your business to the United States is a great opportunity and a big step for many businesses around the world, including those in Canada. Make it work for you, and get it right the first time! Please contact our licensed immigration law firm before you apply.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walkerin the last week

I had an excellent experience working with Visa Place, communicating with them was very easy. I initially tried to navigate my immigration issue personally, but it was much more efficient allowing everything to be handled by the experts. Thank you so much Sarah, Lauren, Natasha, and Sukhi for all of your help!

Tanyain the last week

Thanks to Alicea and Rania for their excellent service. This is the 2 nd time we are using them and they have always delivered successful results, even where other law firms has been unsuccessful. Alicea has been especially helpful and available to address all our concerns. She has an excellent work ethic. We will be using them again and always recommend them to our friends.

K Wa week ago