Being Transferred to the United States for Work


If you are an employee at a company that operates outside of the United States, or you are a business owner and you want to take that next step and expand your business in the to the United States, you will require a United States work visa.

Required Visas for Being Transferred to the United States for Work

While there are many different types of United States work visas, the type of visa that works best for this situation is the L-1 work visa. This is a special visa for inter-company transfers into the United States as well as business expansion.

However, like all United States work visas there are many different specific requirements that you must meet before you can apply for this visa.

Requirements for Obtaining an L-1 Work Visa

Not just any employee can obtain an L-1 visa. There are two types of L-1 visas, one for executives and managers (the L-1A visa) and one for specialized knowledge employees (the L-1B visa).

In addition, there are requirements surrounding the company itself. The company operating outside of the United States must have a legal relationship with the United States company, either as a parent company, a branch, a subsidiary, an affiliate or a joint venture partner. This company must also remain in business and operational outside of the United States while the employee has their L-1 visa.

L-1 Visa and Being Transferred to the United States for Work

The L-1 visa is a great visa because it can also lead to getting a Untied States green card in the right situation, and it can be extended.

L-1 visas are available for businesses of any size, big and small! If this sounds like the perfect visa for your situation, please contact our immigration law firm for assistance.

Are You Looking for An Immigration Attorney? was founded over 15 years ago by Michael Niren, “To provide clients with affordable, effective and expeditious immigration solutions.” All of Niren & Associates’ cases are handled by independent, licensed and award winning Canadian and U.S. lawyers who adhere to the highest standards of client service. If you have immigration questions regarding being transferred to the United States for work, feel free to contact us to book a consultation.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.