Transferring to the United States With a L-1 Visa

United States work visas are necessary for individuals who want to work in the United States, even if they have a job offer or they are a Canadian citizen. In addition, a work permit or work visa is required if you are being transferred to the United States by an employer or you wish to expand your business to the United States.

What is an L-1 Visa?

The visa that is appropriate for this situation is the L-1 visa, and there are two types of L-1 visas: The L-1A visa and the L-1B visa.

L-visas are valid for seven years, and there are situations in which the visa can be extended.

Qualifying for a L-1 Visa for The United States

L-1 Visa for the United StatesEmployees who qualify for an L-1 visa must be working for foreign companies outside of the United States, including Canada, that have related businesses in the United States. There are strict legal definitions as to what constitutes a legal related business, and these include joint venture partners, affiliates, subsidiaries and branches.

Please note that the L-1 visa is available for businesses of any size. Businesses do not have to be large to obtain the L-1 visa, however the foreign company must still be in operation during the period for which the L-1 visa is valid.

Knowing the Difference Between an L-1A & L-1B Visa

There are two types of L-1 visas. The L-1A visa is for managers or executives, while the L-1B visa is for specialized knowledge workers.

Did you know that having an L-1 visa can eventually lead to United States permanent residence, also known as a United States green card? There are also perks for applying for an L-1 visa as a Canadian.

Does the L-1 visa sound like it’s perfect for you? Please contact us to apply!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago