What is an L-visa for the United States?

The United States is an important hub of international business, and as a result many foreign companies have offices there. In some circumstances, these businesses may have to transfer workers from foreign offices to the United States offices. However, even if it is the same company doing the transfer they are required to obtain a work visa. L1 work visa

When expanding your business to the United States, or transferring to an office in the United States, the appropriate work visa is the L1 work visa. This visa is available for foreign employees who are being transferred to the United States and for business owners who are looking to expand to the United States.

Requirements for an L1 work visa in the United States

The company that the foreign worker is being transferred to must be related to the foreign company outside of the United States. For example, the United States office will need to be a branch, affiliate, subsidiary or joint venture partner of the foreign company.

Not just any employee can apply for an L1 visa. The applicant will have to be a manager, an executive or in a specialized knowledge position.

The employee cannot be a new employee, either. The employee will have to have been a full-time employee for at least a year, although this year of full-time work could be anytime within the last three years.

In addition, the company must be actively in business outside of the United States while the employee is working in the United States.

All kinds of foreign companies (and Canadian companies, too!) can apply for an L1 work visa, no matter what size they are. For assistance in applying for an L1 work visa, give our immigration law firm a call.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago