Should I make the move?

As immigration lawyers, we often get inquires from people asking whether they should move from their place of residence to Canada or to the US.

Now this may seem like a standard question for an immigration lawyer but in most cases, we find that such people have really “jumped the gun” so to speak. What I mean is that as immigration lawyers, our job is to assess qualifications, outline procedures, and determine costs for making the big move to another country.

What we really can’t do is to advise on whether someone should make the move or not.  A subtle distinction at first glance but a very important one.  A person’s decision to pack up and move to another country, regardless of whether they qualify for immigration, is a major life choice that can only be made by that person. Factors such as family, employment, culture, climate, crime, schooling etc have to be evaluated.

I always encouage people to do their homework first in terms of their desired destination before speaking with us. Of course we welcome everyone but we hesitate to get involved before a person actually does their own research and has made up their mind that “yes I want to move”. But once this decision is made, by all means, come speak with us and we will do our thing: Evaluate, assess and advise on the best ways and means for immigration to Canada or to the US.

It may turn out that one’s dreams of greener pastures will be realized or that it’s best to stay home as the immigration laws are not on your side. We like  making dreams come true but we also try to avoid unnecessary hardship for people  in making fruitless applications  when there is no chance of success. Either way we try our best.

So should you move? Well, that’s up to you.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • jonty

    plz give me link from where I can live chat with u and I want to ask question regarding student immigration in canada

    • Michael Niren

      Hello Jonty

      You can fill out our contact us form on our website and as your question about student immigration to Canada.

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago