Permanent Residency Card Renewal on Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds

Permanent Residency Card Renewal Question


I have applied for my Permanent Residency Card Renewal but I do not have the required 2 years of Canadian residence. Please help me to apply on compassionate grounds as my wife and two children meet the requirements and I have also applied for Canadian citizenship and I work and study in Canada.

I had to go back to my home country as my in laws are old and needed medical attention due to heart problems. I also have property in Mississauga.


Applying for Permanent Residency Card Renewal

In cases where someone does not meet the residency requirements for Permanent Residency Card Renewal, you can still apply for a renewal on the basis of humanitarian and compassionate grounds. Since it seems your absence from Canada was due to your care needed for your relatives medical reasons, you may have a case. However, you should document your case by getting a letter from your relatives’ doctors confirming their condition and their need for care.

[gravityform id=1 name=Havea Question? ]
Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Mel

    My husbands PR card expired and we are out of the country.
    Outof the 5years we were living in italy due to his mothers rare eye illness. In those 5 years we’ve travelled to canada for summer holiday, we got married in canada, retrubrd to italy, had a child, baltized her in canada and we are now planning to move back in sept for good.
    Does my husband need to renew his pr card or since we’ve been living together for over 11 years and are married is there another process? Could he get a canadian citozenship once he returns to canada?

    I am getting his travel doc so he can return to canada, but after that what should i do so he csn begin to work legally as fast as possible.

    • Muga Rajbhandari

      Hello Melaina,

      Thank you for writing to us. You did not mention in your note what your nationality is. If you are Canadian, then there may be several options open for your husband, including a spousal sponsorship. If you are not Canadian, we can still help with the PR renewal. I am going to suggest that you contact us to make an appointment to talk with one of our immigration professionals who will be able to plan the best strategy for you. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at
      Regards, Muga

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Thanks to Alicea and Rania for their excellent service. This is the 2 nd time we are using them and they have always delivered successful results, even where other law firms has been unsuccessful. Alicea has been especially helpful and available to address all our concerns. She has an excellent work ethic. We will be using them again and always recommend them to our friends.

K Win the last week

Migrating is a hard task for anyone. Finding a job is even harder. Once I got a job offer, things started moving rapidly. So, I called used VisaPlace (Niren and associates) to assist with the process. Rania and Richard deserve the utmost respect in getting the job done. They have been patient with me and some set backs. Very professional.! Hands down, money was well spent. Thanks Rania and Richard, you make an awesome team. You'll definitely have a repeat customer with me !! I was very impressed at how well they were organized and had a positive experience. Very good and professional work led to a successful outcome. I highly recommend using VisaPlace.

RenaisTT4 weeks ago

I'll like to say I had an awesome initial consultation with Rania Abboud. She was knowledgeable, made the initial process easy and understood my situation. I am excited and hopeful to continue consulting this company. You do a great job for immigrants. Also, Natalie Walcz was great, she handled my situation professionally. Great team. Definitely assets to your company.

Jeffery Yirenkyia month ago