My Permanent Residency Card is Expiring soon but I have not met the Residency Requirement. What do I do?

Permanent Residency Card Expiration question for our immigration law firm

Q. My Permanent Residency Card expires in July 2010 and I have only lived in Canada for about one year within the last 5 years. However, my wife and kids all live in Canada. I work overseas and support my family. I have property in Canada and come when I can. How can I have my Permanent Residency Card renewed in such circumstances?


A. As you have not met the residency requirements for your PR card renewal, you can still apply for a renewal on Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds. Since your family has been living in Canada, you may have a good case. Humanitarian applications are more challenging than regular Permanent Residency Card renewals to be sure. A well documented case showing that you have maintained your ties to Canada despite your absence goes a long way towards a successful renewal application. See our FAQ on PR Cards for more detail on PR Card renewals.

[gravityform id=1 name=Havea Question?]
Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Thanks to Alicea and Rania for their excellent service. This is the 2 nd time we are using them and they have always delivered successful results, even where other law firms has been unsuccessful. Alicea has been especially helpful and available to address all our concerns. She has an excellent work ethic. We will be using them again and always recommend them to our friends.

K Win the last week

Migrating is a hard task for anyone. Finding a job is even harder. Once I got a job offer, things started moving rapidly. So, I called used VisaPlace (Niren and associates) to assist with the process. Rania and Richard deserve the utmost respect in getting the job done. They have been patient with me and some set backs. Very professional.! Hands down, money was well spent. Thanks Rania and Richard, you make an awesome team. You'll definitely have a repeat customer with me !! I was very impressed at how well they were organized and had a positive experience. Very good and professional work led to a successful outcome. I highly recommend using VisaPlace.

RenaisTT4 weeks ago

I'll like to say I had an awesome initial consultation with Rania Abboud. She was knowledgeable, made the initial process easy and understood my situation. I am excited and hopeful to continue consulting this company. You do a great job for immigrants. Also, Natalie Walcz was great, she handled my situation professionally. Great team. Definitely assets to your company.

Jeffery Yirenkyia month ago