I have an immigration hearing coming up. How should I prepare?

Immigration Hearing Q and A

Q. I have been illegally here for many years and now things have caught up with me. I have an immigration hearing next month and I don’t know what to do? Do I need a lawyer?


A. Depending on your circumstances, the outcome of  your immigration hearing could mean remaining  or leaving Canada. For people without status in Canada, immigration hearings are usually called Admissibility Hearings.  Admissibility hearings are conducted by a Member of the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) who will make a determination as to whether you are a person who has violated the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act or Regulations by falling out of status as a temporary resident.

Immigration Hearings and Appeals for Permanent Residents

In some cases, Immigration hearings can take the form of Appeals,usually for Permanent Residents who have committed a criminal offence and are subject to removal orders. In such a case, these hearings are held at the Immigration Adjudication Division (IAD). At the IAD, the appellant can present evidence in favor of overturning his or her removal order showing there are humanitarian and compassionate factors to be considered. Often at IAD hearings, witnesses are called who can testify on behalf of the appellant.

So do you need a lawyer at an Immigration Hearing?

Technically the answer is “no”. However, invariably at immigration hearings, a government lawyer or agent will be present representing the immigration department. These representatives are usually very experienced and know the law. Unrepresented persons are therefore at an extreme disadvantage at immigration hearings despite efforts to ensure proceedings are conducted in a fair manner.  Retaining an experienced immigration lawyer is usually your best defense at an immigration hearing. Of course there are no guarantees. However, outcomes are generally more favorable when immigration counsel is present at an immigration hearing.

[gravityform id=1 name=Havea Question? ]
Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago