How to Immigrate to Canada as a Nanny in 2019

By Sam Moser November 22, 2019 5 min. read

Moving to Canada as a nanny is becoming increasingly popular, and is an excellent life choice for many people. However, Canadian immigration is a complicated legal process, especially if you want to immigrate using a work visa. Canada does offer attractive opportunities for those who plan to live and work in the country using a work visa. If you are looking to move to the US from Canada, see this.

Is There A Nanny Visa?

No, there is no specific nanny visa. However, there are programs that Canada offers which can lead to permanent residency or if you are not qualified for one of those streams, you can work in Canada temporarily. For a foreign worker who wants to immigrate to Canada as a nanny, the government offers the chance to become a permanent resident after he or she has worked as a caregiver for two years. There are four possible immigration streams for caregivers. The first is through the Live-In Caregiver program. However, at this time, the program is not accepting new applicants and you would already need to have a work permit granted under this program.  The second is the Home Child Care Provider Pilot and the third is the Home Support Worker Pilot. Both of these pilots are 5 year programs that let a caregiver and their family move to Canada with the goal of becoming a permanent resident. The other option is to apply as a temporary foreign worker if you do not qualify for one of the other programs.

Steps for Immigration to Canada as a Nanny

The process that you follow will vary depending on which avenue you are exploring. Each program has its own requirements. However,  there are two requirements that must be met for all programs. You will need to have an employer will need to complete a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) in order for you to work as a caregiver. Additionally, you will need to complete a language test regardless of which stream you are applying for. This is to ensure that you will speak either English or French well enough to smoothly transition to life in Canada. Typically, you will need to take the IELTS or the CELPIP-G which are both English tests. You may also decide to demonstrate your French skills by taking the TEF Canada. You can learn more about the language benchmarks and which marks you need.

Live In Caregiver Program(LCP)

Anyone looking to immigrate to Canada as a nanny must fill out the application form for the work permit visa as a live-in caregiver. The government  instituted a live-in caregiver program specifically designed to help workers from outside the country to work as caregivers to address the shortage of domestic help in the country. This same program allows caregivers and nannies to apply for residency after two years of working as a caregiver. As the Canadian government has shut this program, you can now only apply to be a permanent resident if you have worked in Canada for at least two years with an LCP work permit or if your first LCP work permit was granted using a LMIA submitted on or before November 30, 2014.

Requirements for Permanent Residency:

The following work requirements must be earned withing 4 years of your arrival in Canada. When calculating this work experience you cannot count periods of unemployment, extended period of time outside of Canada, time spent working for an employer outside of Canada (i.e for a vacation) and any time you were a carer not living in the home of your employer. Please note that if you are applying for permanent residency in Quebec, the application will be looking for you to have demonstrated a knowledge of French.

If you have met the requirements for permanent residency, you can begin your application process. You can also decide to apply for an open work permit at the same time as permanent residency. If you receive this permit you can work in any job you want. Additionally, if you decide to leave Canada, either permanently or for vacation, you will need to reapply for a temporary resident visa.

Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot

Both programs are 5-year programs that allow for caregivers and their family members to immigrate to Canada with the intent of becoming permanent residents.  You can qualify for these streams if: you have a job offer in Canada as a caregiver or you have experience working in Canada as a caregiver. Within these two pilot programs there are three ways to apply:

  1. You do not have any experience working as a full time caregiver in Canada
  2. You have some experience working as a caregiver in Canada but it is less than 24 months
  3. You have at least 24 months of experience as a caregiver in Canada

Temporary Foreign Workers

This option is not one that initially allows you apply for permanent residency. You will be working in Canada as a caregiver on a temporary basis. However, you can use this type of visa to gain experience in care giving which could be useful when applying for a different visa at a later date.

You must meet the general temporary work visa requirements. Additionally, you will need to be able to:

While it is not strictly necessary, it can be useful to have more qualifications such as:

Are You Ready To Work as  Caregiver in Canada?

If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals, and consultants who work for Niren and Associates an award-winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.

The legal requirements for immigration to Canada as a nanny may be complicated and require a good grasp of Canadian immigration laws. To avoid hassles and to ensure that you provide all the requirements on time, you need the help of an experienced and skilled lawyer who specializes in Canadian immigration law. Increase your chances of living and working in Canada as a Nanny by working with a lawyer who can help you land the caregiver job you need.

Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-888-317-5770.

Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs?

Click here to fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form below and get a response within 24 hours to see if you’re eligible.

The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.