H-1B Work Visa for Canadians

H-1B work Visas

The H-1B work visa for the United States is a work visa that Canadians may apply for if they meet the requirements for eligibility. This type of work visa is for foreign workers to work in “specialty occupations”, which means that the occupation you are working in must require a very high level of skill.  If you want to apply for an H-1B work visa, take note that the process is not an easy one and you will have to be ready with a properly prepared application package that demonstrates you are a suitable candidate for this work visa.

Requirements for the H-1B work visa

Applicants for the H-1B work visa must already have a job offer from a United States employer. This job offer must be in a “specialty occupation”.

The occupation the applicant has been offered must be one that requires a high level of skill and education – and it must have these requirements across the board. This means that anyone who is offering this job needs to have these high standards, not just the applicant’s employer. The employer and anyone else in the industry must normally require that a high level of education – usually a bachelor’s degree at minimum – for the job.

The applicant needs to be qualified for the job and have the proof of education and experience necessary to demonstrate this to the visa officers.

The employer must also be able to demonstrate that they would pay the employee the prevailing wage for that occupation in the region they are located in.

There is a large amount of paperwork required with all of the requirements that need to be demonstrated to the visa officers and immigration authorities when it comes to applying for an H-1B visa. You need to make sure that your application is up to par and complete.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

I could not have asked for more! The VisaPlace team are extremely professional, they know their stuff. They gave me great information, prepared my work visa application and then prepared me for the submission process. I was successful. Got my visa. 5 stars! I would give them 6 if I could.

Tim Willisin the last week

This is not an exaggeration!!! I was truly impressed with the way VisaPlace consultants handled my case. The consultants- Emily, Lauren, Takunda and Lisa, took their time to explain to me in great deal how they were going to approach my case and how they would handle setbacks, if any. Their professionalism and knowledge of the law were superb. The minor setback that came up was quickly addressed by the team. The team constantly kept me updated on the progress/status of my application; they quickly responded to my questions/concerns. They had predicated my permanent residency to be processed within 6 -12, and Indeed it was processed and completed within 6 months. Based on my personal experience, Emily and Lauren's team are the best! They deserve 5 stars!!!!!!!!!!!

George Jakan'gayoa week ago

VisaPlace helped me sponsor my husband to become a Permanent Resident of Canada. They were extremely professional. Every step along the way was explained fully and expertly taken care of. The staff responded immediately to any questions and always handled our concerns fully, taking as much time as we needed to understand where we were at in the immigration process and what to expect next. I would recommend VisaPlace with no hesitation at all. I'm sure if we had tried to navigate the immigration process ourselves, it would have been much harder.

Shirley Corriveau2 weeks ago