How do I sponsor a worker for a US Green Card?

If you are a prospective employer of a foreign national whom you want to sponsor to become a US permanent resident on the basis of  a permanent job offer, you must carefully examine the multifarious process involved. Before you proceed to the first step you need to  ascertain whether your prospective employee will meet any of the standards set forth in four preference categories.

Normally you have to begin the process by obtaining a copy of an approved Labor Certification Application (LCA) from the Department of Labor (DOL). After receiving a copy of the LCA, you must fill up the Form I-140 known as Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker. On behalf of the foreign national you are seeking to sponsor, you must file the form with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office.

When a certification of the Department of Labor is not necessary, the process shall start with the  filing of the Form I-140. There are times when Form I-140 is combined with an application for permanent residence. To know more about this, consult your immigration lawyer.

The waiting period

The priority date shall be the date when you file the petition on behalf of the foreign worker. When the priority date becomes current, the foreign national may choose to apply to immigrate to the United States. Proper timing for meeting all the requirements are essential to getting your petition processed and approved at the earliest possible opportunity. There is no guaranty however as to how long exactly you have to wait until your petition is finally approved because of several factors affecting the procedure.

One of the aspects that has a strong impact in processing your petition is the high demand for a certain type of visa that may run counter to the limits set by law in a certain country. When there is a limit on how many foreign nationals can obtain a lawful permanent residence visa each fiscal year, not everybody can immigrate to the United States at the same period of time. Dont mistake this for an impression that your prospective worker is denied US entry. Hopeful foreigners may need to wait until they reach the “front of the line” – the time when a priority date becomes current. When that happens the foreign worker, on whose behalf you filed the petition, will be contacted by the US Department of State and will be asked to apply for an immigrant visa.

As an employer, who can you sponsor?

As long as the foreign worker qualifies for an employment-based immigrant visa or anything under EB visa categories, you may file on his or her behalf.

EB-1 Visas for priority workers are reserved for foreign nationals who have extraordinary talent, ability, or expertise in business, education, sciences, arts, and athletics. EB-2 Visas are designed for professionals with advanced degrees and distinctive ability in fields that will significantly advance the national economy, culture, education, and the general welfare of the United States. EB-3 Visas are intended for professionals or skilled workers who have the ability of doing skilled labor, provided that they have earned at least two years of work experience. The skilled workers referred to in this category must not be available in the United States. EB-4 Visas are reserved for special immigrants such as religious workers, certain physicians, Panama Canal Employees and other special immigrants deemed to be as such by law.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Habib afzal

    I am having trouble with employers and agents as they all applaud my skills and experienced but when it comes to sponsoring none of them have given me a positive response and state to go back if my visa circumstance changes. How do I go about this? Can I get a temporary visa beforehand and if companies don’t want to sponsor how does one get a right to work and live In USA. Are there any other ways.

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago