Investing in the United States with an E-2 visa

There are many different types of United States work visas out there, but not all of them require a job offer from a US employer before you can apply. For example, the E-2 visa is a United States work visa available for investors. E-visas for investors

Not just anyone can apply for this visa, though. The applicant for the E-2 visa must have citizenship in a country that has signed a treaty with the United States. The list can be found here. In addition, note that this list changes frequently as more countries sign treaties with the United States.

What do I need to obtain an E-2 visa for the United States?

If you wish to apply for an E-2 visa, you need to be able to make an investment in a United States business. These visas are for people who wish to expand their business to the United States, invest in a United States business or start a United States business.

The investment must be in an active business and cannot be a different type of investment, such as purchasing a house.

While there is not a set requirement for how much money the investment needs to be, one should expect to invest at least $100,000 and they will need to demonstrate that they have the money ready and available for this investment.

The business they choose to invest in needs to be at least half-owned by a foreign national from a treaty country, and this investment must create enough profit to earn a living for more than just that foreign national and their family.

Do you want to invest in a US business using the E-2 visa? Please give our immigration law firm a call! We can help you.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.