E-2 Visas for the United States

You may be aware that you can obtain a work permit for the United States by investing in the United States. This is true: you can obtain an E2 visa, which is a work visa, by investing in a new or existing business in the United States. This is a great way to find opportunities in the United States, but there are requirements you will have to meet. E2 Investor Visas

For one, you need to be a foreign national from a country that has a treaty with the United States for the E2 visas, and a list of these countries is found here. This list can also change.

In order to be eligible for the visa, you must meet additional requirements as well.

Eligibility for the E2 visa for the United States

If you are prepared to make a substantial investment in a new or existing United States business, you need to be able to prove you have the funds and these funds are ready to be committed to the investment.

The investment itself has no real minimum requirement, but on average you can expect to invest at least $100,000. The investment needs to be in a business that is new or existing, it cannot be a passive investment like buying a house.

You must also invest in a business that is 50% owned by a foreign national who is of a country with a treaty with the US.

Are you someone who needs  an E2 visa for investing in the United States?

Are you looking to work in the United States but aren’t sure where to start? We can help you! Our immigration law firm has been in business for over 15 years helping people obtain work visas for the United States, including the E2 visas.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.