E-2 Visa issued but can I Reenter the US?

Hi Michael,

You obtained an E-2 work visa to the US for me several years ago. My question now is if I was to leave America for over 30 days would that be a problem?

Hope all is well,




If your E-2 Visa was obtained at a US Consulate (say in Toronto) and you leave and return to the US while it is still valid, you should be fine.

It is only when the E-2 was obtained within the US at a Service Center that you may have difficulty reentering the US. If this is the case, you would be required to resubmit your E-2 visa to a US Consulate outside the US in order to be readmitted on an E-2

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • hamza khan

    Hello, I had to ask that I entered the US on B1 and change to f1 from within the US. Now I have to visit Romania for an internship, how will I re enter the US and how long will it take? and is it safe? please help me out. my journey to Romania is for 11 weeks.

    • Immigration Lawyers

      Hi Hamza,

      Thank you for contacting us at VisaPlace! We would love to answer any questions you have regarding US entry. Hiring an immigration lawyer will help you get answers to all of your questions, plus it will increase the chance of getting a visa approved. Please, complete this form for me http://www.visaplace.com/immigration-assessment/ it is just a quick and easy way for me to learn more details about your situation so that I will be able to advise you accurately and determine the best avenue for us to take to give you the best legal advice.

      The above response is for informational purposes only and does not form a lawyer-client relationship nor should it be construed to be legal advice.

  • Aisha Qadir

    My family and I came to United States on a B1/B2 visa and then filed for an E2 change of status. Our COS application got accepted whereas the B1/B2 visa is still valid on our passport. I am the principal candidate and also my husband has been granted a work permit here. My question is that if we leave the United States and try to reenter, what procedure do we need to follow?

    • Muga Rajbhandari

      Hello Aisha. Thank you for writing to us. They will have to re-apply for the E-2 visa at the Consulate in Toronto in order to re-enter the US pursuant to E-2. If you need help with your applications to make sure that you are not making any mistakes, and so that you will have a legal team taking care of all the matters that may arise, then please contact us to book a consultation with one of our immigration professionals. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at http://goo.gl/JFZqPm
      Regards, Muga

  • Rosalia Palma


    My name is Rosy and I need a e-2 visa to buy a franchise food ( Coco Baleadas),in Miami,Florida.
    How much do you charge to help out with all the documentation.
    I was born in central America ,Honduras,living en Canada,which it has provide me with a Canadian Citizenship.



    • owen

      Hello Rosy,

      Once you retain us we will provide you with a list of documentation and during the initial consultation we will give you a quote for your E-2 case. Generally, we recommend investing at least $50,000 in order to obtain an E-2 visa. Once you fill out our free online assessment form, one of our immigration professionals will be in touch with you shortly http://www.visaplace.com/immigration-assessment/


  • E-2 visa resident


    I am an E-2 Visa holder who received E-2 within US at a Service center. I am currently residing in US. However I am wondering if I could leave US and visit my native country for a month. Will the process of resubmitting the E-2 visa at the US Consulate in my country require fees? What documents are necessary for this process?

    Thank you

    • Hello
      Unfortunately if you received your E-2 Visa at a Service Center from within the US, then you would have to reapply at the US Consulate. If it’s in Toronto, you would have to pay new fees and submit a full application.

  • My pleasure Howard. Enjoy the sun and let us know when you are ready to renew your E2 Visa.

  • Howard

    Hi Michael,

    Nice to hear from you as well and thank you for the info. I am loving living in Florida and again thanks for all your help with the visa!


The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago