Toronto grandmother deported from Canada

A grandmother living in Toronto was deported to Sri Lanka earlier this month, accompanied by a Canada Border Services Agency officer on her flight.


Minister Kenney

The woman, who is 70 years old, has a Canadian daughter and granddaughter and no family in Sri Lanka – and currently, there’s barely anyone available to pick her up at the airport when she lands.

Bad immigration advice leads to deportation from Canada

The woman’s Canadian family says that they received bad immigration advice: they were told she should file a refugee claim rather than themselves sponsoring her as Canadians.

Even if Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Minister Jason Kenney were to grant a stay to the woman on humanitarian and compassionate grounds, she would still have to get permission to enter Canada and considering her recent deportation that could be problematic.

The woman’s family say they could still sponsor her but so far have not been given the chance.

Will the immigration process for parents and grandparents only become more difficult?

In 2011, Canada decided to no longer accept applications for parents and grandparents to come to Canada in order to clear out a massive immigration visa, although there is the new Super Visa that allowed parents and grandparents to visit Canada multiple times over a period of 10 years. However, once someone is deported from Canada they will likely have a very difficult time applying to re-enter Canada again on any type of visa.

Let this be a lesson: take the advice of friends, family members and the internet with a grain of salt. If you do need Canadian immigration advice, consult with a licensed immigration lawyer who has your best interests at heart and knows the rules when immigrating to or staying Canada


Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Nathan

    I was deported for various crimes mostly property related in 2001 my mother at the moment is undergoing tests ( mri , ct scan , xray biopsy etc and has meet with a specialist already if thungs progress god forbidden gets worse would there be a way to enter Canada to see her I have a pardon filed from may any advice ..,??

    • Hello Nathan

      If you were deported from Canada due to criminality, you could only return by applying for an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC). Once that is approved you can re-enter Canada. If you require a visa you will also need one as well. ARCs are not easy to get. However if there are humanitarian reasons like there appears to be in this case, you could possibly get an approval. ARCs can take some time to process however. So you should apply right away if you want to enter soon. Best Michael

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago