Senior Deported to the United States May Return to Canada

We recently blogged about an elderly American woman who was facing deportation despite being the only available care option for a Canadian Citizen. 

Nancy Inferrera, 73, left Canada because she was under a removal order and the Canadian Citizen, Mildred Sanford, 83, left with her. Inferrera’s permanent residency application had been denied, as was her appeal on humanitarian and compassionate grounds.

However, CTV News is now reporting that Inferrera will be allowed to return to Canada and take care of Sanford – she was able to obtain a temporary resident permit, which will allow her to remain in Canada for three years.

A positive outcome for deported senior citizen

Not everyone has family that can take care of them in their advanced age, and not everyone has the money or ability to move to an assisted living facility. Inferrera was doing Canada and one Canadian citizen in particular a great service by providing Nancy Sanford with care and companionship she so desperately needed.

It is fantastic to see such a positive outcome with this case, but it is very unfortunate that it took both women leaving Canada for the United States to get any kind of results.

The Canadian immigration department will not comment on the case, so it is not known exactly what will happen when Ms. Inferrera’s temporary resident permit expires in three years’ time.



Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugh2 weeks ago

Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!

P Eyre2 weeks ago

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheong4 weeks ago