Overcoming criminal inadmissibility with a TRP

If you are someone who is inadmissible to Canada, you could overcome your criminal inadmissibility temporarily with a TRP, or Temporary Resident Permit. Denied Entry to Canada

Why would someone be inadmissible to Canada? Well, in these times of heightened border security many people are caught up in increasingly strict security restrictions and regulations who don’t need to be. When this happens, sometimes people who pose no thread to Canada or Canadians aren’t allowed in even if they have a pressing matter to attend to. Could this happen to you?

It’s not a guarantee that you’ll be denied entry to Canada if you have a criminal record, but it is always a possibility – even for a small crime or very old record. Luckily, someone who is inadmissible to Canada has options.

What does a Temporary Resident Permit do?

A Temporary Resident Permit, or TRP, is a special permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada that will allow you to come to Canada on a temporary basis even if you are inadmissible to Canada. There are different types of Temporary Resident permits and different ways to apply.

Before you consider applying for a Temporary Resident Permit, discuss your situation with a licensed immigration lawyer. They can help you determine what your best course of options are.

For example, someone who has a criminal record that is less than five years old may benefit from a Temporary Resident Permit, but someone with an older criminal record could be eligible for criminal rehabilitation, which will remove the inadmissibility altogether.

In addition, you could apply for the Temporary Resident Permit at the border or at the Canadian consulate, with each of these options having benefits for drawbacks.

A licensed immigration lawyer can be your best asset when determining your course of action when it comes to being criminally inadmissible to Canada, and what to do about it.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago

Great firm on top of their game. Worked with us til the end to ensure my parents visa was approved and guided us along the way in a professional manor. Natalie is awesome. Majority of our communications were via email, but the responses were immediate. I would greatly recommend this firm. Thank you for all your hard work and help. My family and I do really appreciate it.

Daxesh Patel2 months ago

I am grateful for the legal services that I got from Sanaa and Alicea of Visa Place. I was impressed by their client centered approach. Their professionalism involved their hearts and heads to work on my case. I cannot compare the time they spent on it with the money I paid. All they wanted was a fine final document. I also liked their prompt communication. They are really passionate about what they do.

Theresie Nuwimanaa month ago