I have been Denied Entry into Canada and I have a Wedding to attend

Denied Entry into Canada question for our immigration law firm

Q. I am a US Citizen.  A few days ago, I travelled to the Toronto Airport and was told that I could not enter into Canada because I have a DUI. The customs officer told me I have to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit. The problem is that I have a wedding to attend to in a few days.  I am in the wedding party. When I researched information about a Temporary Resident Permit, I discovered that it can take months to be approved. What do I do?


A. Since you are a US Citizen, you could apply for your Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) at the Canada/US Port of Entry rather than filing it thought the Canadian Consulate. Doing it this way (though the Consulate) can indeed take months. Under NAFTA, as a US Citizen, you have the option of presenting your TRP right at the border for almost instant results.

However, the risk is that if your TRP can be refused at the border, and you could be turned away. Further, in order to apply for a TRP, you have to have your documentation with you including information concerning your DUI among other information. TRPs at the border can be high-risk so it is essential that you have a very well prepared application if wish to attempt a TRP at the Canada border. TRPs can be issued for a single or multiple entry depending on the nature of the offense and circumstances of your entry.

Have a question about being Denied Entry into Canada? Contact Niren and Associates immigration law firm.

[gravityform id=1 name=Havea Question? ]

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.