If I have a DUI, can I enter Canada?

While the Canadian government takes all types of criminal convictions quite seriously, a criminal record for a DUI is something that will most likely render you inadmissible to Canada. This means that if you attempt to enter Canada, you will be told you are inadmissible and you must return to where you came from immediately. Denied entry to Canada

It is not always clear whether you will be rendered inadmissible to Canada or not as all situations and criminal records are different. However, if you are inadmissible you do have a couple of options.

Applying for a temporary resident permit or criminal rehabilitation

The two options available to people who are criminally inadmissible to Canada are criminal rehabilitation and a temporary resident permit. If your offense is more than five years old, criminal rehabilitation may be the best process for you although it takes a little longer. A temporary resident permit is quicker to obtain and would be a good option if your offense is less than five years old.

Both of these options require a significant application process and certain types of supporting documentation, as the Canadian border officials are looking for specific things.

A licensed immigration lawyer in Canada is your best option when it comes to determining if you are inadmissible to Canada based on your criminal record or criminal history. Not only can we help you determine if you are inadmissible and would be denied entry to Canada, we can also help you determine which of the options available to you are best for your situation and help you prepare your application. Give us a call at the phone number above, or send us an e-mail using the form on the right! We can’t wait to help you.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago