Will a DUI cause me to be denied entry to Canada?

Criminal records are a very common reason why people would be denied entry to the United States and Canada. A DUI conviction is one of the most common criminal records that travelers are dealing with when they try to enter each country. While both countries take DUIs seriously, Canada takes them more seriously than the United States. This is because one DUI may not result in inadmissibility to the United States, rather multiple DUIs will or a DUI in conjunction with other charges. Denied entry to Canada

However in Canada, you are most likely going to be denied entry to Canada because of a single DUI.

What does being denied entry mean? It means that you will not be allowed to enter the country. If you’ve arrived by land, you must turn around and return to the US. If you’ve arrived by air, you will be put on the next flight home.

Options when you are refused entry to Canada

While Canada does take DUIs very seriously, that does not mean that you are going to be inadmissible to Canada no matter what forever and ever. You have options!

You may be eligible to apply for something called a temporary resident permit, or a TRP. This will allow you to enter Canada on a temporary basis, even though you would ordinarily be inadmissible to Canada because of your conviction. A TRP can be applied for at the US-Canada border, or you can apply for one at your Canadian embassy or consulate. Keep in mind that applying at the border can be more risky because you can be denied for one and have travelled all that way.

Another option is criminal rehabilitation, which cannot be done at the border. While it takes longer and has to be done through the consulate or embassy in your country, this process is more permanent.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.