If I have a DUI will I be denied entry to Canada?

Being denied entry to Canada is a very serious matter. Worse, it can be embarrassing, upsetting and completely ruin any plans you had. It does not matter if you were visiting friends, you’ve spent a lot of money on a vacation or you’ve got a very pressing family emergency in Canada. If you are deemed inadmissible, you can’t come in. You’ll have to turn around and go home right away. Denied entry to Canada

The reasons people are denied entry to Canada can vary immensely, but one very common reason is having a criminal record, especially a criminal record for a DUI. Canada takes these very seriously. But does that mean you’ll never be allowed to come to Canada? No!

Entering Canada with a criminal record

Someone who is inadmissible to Canada because of a criminal record or a DUI is not without options. Specifically, there are two options. Which of these options is right for you depends on your personal situation, your criminal record, and even the age of your criminal record.

For example, someone whose criminal record is less than five years old can consider applying for a temporary resident permit, which is a special document that is like advance permission to enter Canada despite being criminally inadmissible. This is a good idea if you just need to visit for a short period of time.

The other option is criminal rehabilitation, which is an option for people who have a criminal record from longer than five years ago. This is a much longer and more difficult process than applying for a temporary resident permit, but still, it is a more permanent result and your inadmissibility will be removed.

Do you need help? We have helped thousands of people gain admissibility to the United States and Canada when they were criminally inadmissible or inadmissible for other reasons. We can help you too! Give us a call a the number above.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago