Does a DUI Make You Inadmissible to Canada?

Did you know that a DUI, even one that happened many years ago, can make you inadmissible to Canada and denied entry at the border? This can be a very inconvenient situation, especially if there is an important reason for you to enter Canada or you have made plans in Canada with others. inadmissible-to-canada

A criminal record for DUI in particular is something that Canada takes very seriously, and generally people who have a criminal record for a DUI conviction are inadmissible to Canada.

What Can I Do if I am Inadmissible to Canada?

Someone who is inadmissible to Canada because of a criminal record has two options.

  1. The first is applying for a temporary resident permit, which will allow you into Canada on a temporary basis. This is a more suitable option if your criminal conviction is more recent, or occurred within the last five years.
  2. The other option for people who are inadmissible to Canada is applying for a process called criminal rehabilitation. While this is a longer process than applying for a temporary resident permit and must be done at the Canadian consulate or embassy, it is a permanent way of overcoming your criminal inadmissibility to Canada. Criminal rehabilitation is an option if your criminal offense is older, occurring more than five years ago.

Even if you apply for one of these options, you can still be denied. It is a great idea to speak with a licensed immigration lawyer before you must travel to Canada to learn whether you will be inadmissible to Canada or not, and to explore your options. If a temporary resident permit or criminal rehabilitation is right for you, they can help you apply and ensure that your application is prepared properly.

Are You Criminally Inadmissible to Canada?

Have you tried to enter Canada but were refused? Whether you have a criminal record for a DUI or something worse, having the right paper work can help you.The first step to overcoming inadmissibility to Canada is to book a consultation online with one of our experienced staff. From there, we can help you chose the best option to possibly overcome your status of Criminally inadmissible to Canada.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugh2 weeks ago

Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!

P Eyre2 weeks ago

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheong4 weeks ago