Denied entry at the Canadian border?

Have you been Denied Entry at Canadian Border?

You are not alone. A lot of people wishing to enter to Canada are denied entry at the border for reasons of medical issues or criminality. For instance, if you have been convicted of a DUI, DWI, assault charge or another misdemeanour  you could be refused at the Canadian border. 

If this happens, it is not pleasant, can be embarrassing and costly. Therefore it is important to prepare in advance of your travel plans to Canada if you think you are  inadmissible.  How to prepare is to first determine if you are in fact inadmissible due to a criminal record. You should consult with an immigration lawyer in order to determine if you will have difficulty.

What if you are inadmissible to Canada?

If you are inadmissible, you may need a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP). A TRP is a special document that will allow you to be admitted to Canada even if you have a criminal record. You can apply for a TRP at the Canadian Embassy which can take a few months to process. If you are an American, and you have an urgent need to enter Canada, you can apply for a TRP right at the Canadian border. But doing so could be risky if you are denied. Therefore it is best if you plan ahead.

How long Can you enter Canada?

If you are granted a TRP, you can enter Canada for the validity of the TRP which usually is up to 6 months. But the duration depends on the immigration officer issuing you the TRP. If you need to enter Canada more than once, you may wish to apply for a TRP that allows you to enter Canada multiple times.

What if my criminal record is really old?

If your conviction is more than 5 years and in some cases 10 years, you may be eligible for what is called Criminal Rehabilitation (CR). CR will have the effect of wiping your record off the books for entry purpose and so long as you show your Criminal Rehabilitation Certificate upon entry to Canada, you should be admitted without issue. CR applications should be made at the Canadian Consulate and not at the Canadian border. They can take a number of months to process but if you are eligible, it is worth applying for.

If you have been denied entry at the Canadian Border or think that you may, it is essential to plan ahead.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago