Denied entry to Canada for a misdemeanor

Many people know that if you have a criminal record or criminal history and try to enter Canada, you could be denied entry. However, few people actually realize that you can actually be denied entry to Canada even if you only have a misdemeanor on your record or your criminal record is from something that occurred many years ago. Denied entry to Canada

If you have previously traveled to Canada without problems, you are still at risk of being denied entry because Canada has signed an information sharing act with the United States in recent months. This means they have easier access to information about you, and can see criminal records in their databases. In addition, any and all criminal records must be disclosed when you enter Canada.

What can I do if I have a misdemeanor on my record?

If you have a criminal record for a misdemeanor, you should consult with a licensed immigration lawyer and determine if you are at risk of being deemed inadmissible to Canada. They can help you explore your options.

The options available to you may include applying for criminal rehabilitation if your criminal conviction is from more than five years ago. This is a process that will remove your criminal inadmissibility permanently, but it is a lengthy process.

You could also apply for a Temporary Resident Permit, which is a special document that will allow you into Canada on a temporary basis. It will not remove your criminal inadmissibility permanently, but it will allow you to overcome it for a short period of time.

Do you have a criminal record? Have you been denied entry to Canada, and fear you could be denied entry again? Contact our immigration law firm. We can help you!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.