Have you been denied entry to Canada for DUI?

Having a criminal record for a DUI is one of the most common reasons people are denied entry to Canada. Even if your DUI conviction is from very long ago, you can still be denied entry. There are many other types of criminal records that can cause you to be denied entry to Canada, while some criminal records will not result in a denial of entry. However, all criminal records must be disclosed at the border when you attempt to enter Canada, and a DUI will almost certainly deny you entry. Denied entry to Canada DUI 3

But what can you do? There are several ways you can overcome or remove your inadmissibility to Canada if it is for criminal reasons.

Obtaining a Temporary Resident Permit to enter Canada

Did you know that you can obtain a Temporary Resident Permit if you are inadmissible to Canada? This is one of two options you have when dealing with criminal inadmissibility.

You can either apply at the Canadian consulate/embassy or the Canadian border, and this would allow you into the country for a temporary visit. In most cases you must have a pressing matter in Canada or an emergency in order to obtain one. The temporary resident permit is for individuals who have a criminal record, but the criminal record is less than five years old.

If your criminal record is older, you could consider an application for criminal rehabilitation. This application takes much longer to process and must be done through the Canadian consulate or embassy, but it is a permanent solution to your criminal inadmissibility issues. Once done, it’s done and you can enter Canada.

Do you have a criminal record for DUI? Would you like assistance in determining what you should do about it? We can help you!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.