Denied entry to Canada for a criminal record

Have you attempted to enter Canada, only to come to discover that you have been refused entry? You are not alone – this happens to many people, and it can happen to you no matter who you are or where you are from. Denied entry to Canada

Being denied entry to Canada is a very common occurrence, and one of the most common reasons people are denied entry to Canada is that they have a criminal record. If you have a criminal record in the United States, it is easy for the government of Canada to discover it. But if you attempt to hide your criminal past, things can go much worse so it is best to always be upfront and honest when you attempt to cross the border.

What can I do if I have a criminal record?

Someone who has a criminal record but who needs to travel to Canada has two different options.

If your criminal record is older than five years, you can consider applying for criminal rehabilitation. This will remove your criminal inadmissibility to Canada, and allow you to enter Canada without issue. However, this is a very labour-intensive application and involves a significant amount of documentation, while the overall process can also take several months.

Another option is the apply for a Temporary Resident Permit, which will allow you to enter Canada temporarily. If you leave and wish to return, you will have to apply again. Obtaining a Temporary Resident Permit takes much less time, and this can even be done at the border. However, that does not mean that the Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) is easy to obtain.

Have you been denied entry to Canada? Do you want to enter Canada but have a criminal record? Give us a call, we can help!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.