Denied Entry to Canada? Here are 3 Things You Need to Do Next

Denied Entry to Canada

Denied Entry to Canada

Have you recently been denied entry to Canada? There are plenty of reasons why this can happen, but try not to panic as there are steps you can take to remedy the situation.

1. Contact VisaPlace

The first step you should take after being denied entry to Canada is to contact – we can help. Whether you simply don’t have the right visa, or possess a criminal record like a DUI or something more serious, you may still be admitted into Canada as long as you have the correct paperwork.

2. File for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)

Next you will have to file a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP), also known as a Form IMM 5708. According to “If it has been less than 5 years since the end of your sentence and/or you have special circumstances, you may be able to get a ‘temporary resident permit”’.

Form IMM 5708 is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office, and will be placed inside your passport to indicate you’ve met all the requirements to be admitted to Canada as a temporary resident (whether as a visitor, student, or worker).

3. Be Deemed Rehabilitated

Although a criminal record is one of the main reasons most people are denied entry to Canada, it’s not the only reason. You can be deemed rehabilitated if enough time has passed since your conviction (usually around 10 years), or all the conditions of your sentence have since been met.

According to AboutTravel: “Denial of entry to Canada is not automatic if you have a conviction. Be honest about your criminal history. You may be able to persuade the immigration officer that you have been rehabilitated. Alternately, you may have to prove individual rehabilitation, which is an application process that proves though you have a previous conviction, you no longer pose a risk.”

If you need to apply for a formal decision, you can go the ‘Individual Rehabilitation’ route. The advantage of this is that it provides you with a certain decision regarding your ability to successfully cross the border before you arrive there. Applying for a Determination of Individual Rehabilitation involves submitting a written application to the Canadian Government, along with a set fee.

However, for this last option, you’re only eligible if it’s been at least five years since a) you committed the crime and b) completed all conditions of your criminal sentence.

Have you been denied entry to Canada?

Have you been denied entry to Canada? Or do you think you might be denied entry when you try to enter? We can help you. We have literally helped thousands of people to successfully attain a TRP so they can visit, work, or study in Canada and we are certain we can help you too!

All you have to do is fill out our free online immigration assessment form and we will get back to you (within 24 hours) to discuss your eligibility and immigration options.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Chetna Makkar

    Hello ,
    I am studying in newzealand.
    I have decided to apply for canada further studies. I have scored 6bands. But one of the lawyer told me, that now i cannot proceed for any other study in canada. Immigration will not grant me visa for this.
    Is it true? because i have already studied in newzealand..

    • Vahe Mirzoyan

      Hello Chetna. There is no IELTS requirement for a study visa. Studying in New Zealand does not prevent you from studying in Canada provided you meet all the requirements and you are in the proper immigration standing. I am going to suggest that you contact us to make an appointment to talk with one of our immigration professionals who will be able to plan the best strategy for you. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at
      Regards, Vahe

  • Zahida Ayub

    I am from Pakistan. I contacted a consultant for Canadian immigration in Pakistan who advised me to go for IELTS , after seeing my qualifications. I scored 6.5 in IELTS which is a v good score according to my lawyer . Now he says your only 4 points r less to apply for Canadian immigration and u can obtained those points if u search a job in canada and get a job offer letter. On the basis of that letter I will be able to pool in myself in immigration process . Pls guide me how can I proceed further?

  • Yenyen

    I’m just trying to get a tourist visa, may I know what is the requirements of the tie at home country I need ? Before getting married with my BF we need to spend time in Canada for awhile n meet his friends and family. To make this big decision.

    • Vahe Mirzoyan

      Hello Yenyan. A visitor visa is one of the most difficult to obtain because the reviewing officer needs to make 100% certain that you will return home after your visit. You must show convincing arguments that you have ties such as property, family, work, in your home country that will indicate that you will return. If you need help with your application to make sure that you are not making any mistakes, and so that you will have a legal team taking care of all the matters that may arise, then please contact us to book a consultation with one of our immigration professionals. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at
      Regards, Vahe

  • Sohail Muhammad Azhar

    I want immigration visa there in Canada please if you that for then tell me

    • Vahe Mirzoyan

      Hello Sohail. There are many factors that need to be considered before recommending an immigration strategy. I am going to suggest that you contact us to make an appointment to talk with one of our immigration professionals who will be able to plan the best strategy for you after gathering all the information about your situation. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at
      Regards, Vahe

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Completely smooth process. Rania did a great job in my Canada work permit. The team is absolutely competent and knowledgeable. Alicea was so amazing and was able to answer any of my questions immediately. I had peace of mind throughout the application. I would recommend them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications.

Theressa Jaranillain the last week

I highly recommend VisaPlace to anyone seeking help with navigating the legal minefield that is Permanent Residency. As someone who is very easily stressed, Lauren & Mariana have saved me a lot of sleepless nights. They are fast, efficient, reliable and honest and I will be telling any of my friends to use them for immigration. Thanks to them, my future with my husband in Canada is bright

Hannah James2 weeks ago

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugha month ago