Criminal records and entering Canada

Not everyone realizes that when you attempt to enter Canada and you have a criminal record, you could be denied entry. Being denied entry to Canada can be extremely distressing, and even embarrassing. It doesn’t matter what kind of plans you have in Canada, or if you have someone waiting for you – you will be asked to turn around and leave. Denied entry to Canada 4

This is why it is so important to speak to a licensed immigration lawyer before you travel to Canada – before you even make plans, or buy tickets. Because if you are denied entry, you won’t be able to get that time or money back.

What should you do if you have a criminal record and want to go to Canada?

Meeting with a licensed immigration lawyer is a great first step when you have a criminal record and want to come to Canada – even if it is a misdemeanor or an older criminal record, it’s a wise move. That’s because there are several options that you can look into when you’re criminally inadmissible – but you may have to act long before you travel.

For example, you could apply for a temporary resident permit, which will allow you to enter Canada temporarily despite your criminal inadmissibility. This is something that can be applied for at the border, although there is also a risk to applying at the border because you could be denied.

One other thing you can look into is criminal rehabilitation, which is a process that removes your criminal inadmissibility permanently. However, unlike the temporary resident permit, which if you are approved for you can receive right away, the criminal rehabilitation can take many months to process.

If you’re planning on traveling to Canada, but you have a criminal record, call our immigration law firm for assistance with your case. You can e-mail us using the form on the right, or by giving us a call at the number above.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Thanks to Alicea and Rania for their excellent service. This is the 2 nd time we are using them and they have always delivered successful results, even where other law firms has been unsuccessful. Alicea has been especially helpful and available to address all our concerns. She has an excellent work ethic. We will be using them again and always recommend them to our friends.

K Win the last week

Migrating is a hard task for anyone. Finding a job is even harder. Once I got a job offer, things started moving rapidly. So, I called used VisaPlace (Niren and associates) to assist with the process. Rania and Richard deserve the utmost respect in getting the job done. They have been patient with me and some set backs. Very professional.! Hands down, money was well spent. Thanks Rania and Richard, you make an awesome team. You'll definitely have a repeat customer with me !! I was very impressed at how well they were organized and had a positive experience. Very good and professional work led to a successful outcome. I highly recommend using VisaPlace.

RenaisTT4 weeks ago

I'll like to say I had an awesome initial consultation with Rania Abboud. She was knowledgeable, made the initial process easy and understood my situation. I am excited and hopeful to continue consulting this company. You do a great job for immigrants. Also, Natalie Walcz was great, she handled my situation professionally. Great team. Definitely assets to your company.

Jeffery Yirenkyia month ago