Are You Traveling to the Vancouver 2010 Olympics With a Criminal Record?

Those planning to travel to Canada for the 2010 Vancouver Winter Games have to meet the same requirements everyone else does to enter the country, and travelers from certain countries do indeed require a visa. Past criminal convictions or offenses can sometimes result in your being inadmissible to Canada.

Planning to Travel to Canada with a Criminal Record?

If you are inadmissible to Canada due to a past criminal offense, your next course of action may be to acquire a Temporary Residence Permit to enter Canada. A Temporary Residence Permit will allow you to enter Canada as a visitor despite being inadmissible to Canada because of a prior criminal offense, and can be valid for periods of months or years, multiple visits or a one-time entry into the country. Temporary Residence status in Canada can include those who want to visit, work or study in Canada.

Travelling to Canada via the United States?

If you are planning to travel to Vancouver via the United States, you may also need a United States visa that can be applied for in your home country well before your trip to avoid any delays or surprises.

Usually a TRP application is processed by a Canadian Embassy or Consulate, however, this process can take months. You can also apply at the border (if you are from visa-exempt countries), but there is always the risk of being turned away or very rarely, detained as visitors to Canada must always convince or satisfy the visa officer at the Canadian border or port of entry that the visit is a temporary one.

Have You Been Refused Entry to Canada?

If you have been denied entry travelling to Canada, please contact VisaPlace Immigration Lawyers for a consultation regarding your problem and to discuss steps that can be taken to resolve your situation and travel to Canada if possible.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.