American with Criminal Record Needs Entry to Canada for Business

Entry to Canada question for our immigration law firm

Q. I have two DUI convictions in the US. I am an American. I know that I will need a Temporary Resident Permit to cross into Canada. However, I have a business meeting in Canada within a month’s time and I have to attend. How can I get a TRP that fast?


Entry to Canada answers from our immigration lawyers

A. Fortunately, as an American citizen you can take advantage of NAFTA and apply for your TRP right at the Canada/US Border. However, in many cases, the CBSA officers at the border would rather see TRP’s filed at the Canadian Consulate. But if your trip to Canada is coming up so soon, you would be best to consider applying for the TRP at the border. There are risks associated with TRP border applications, namely, being refused entry and turned back right then and there! If you decide to apply at the border make sure all your TRP application documentation is in order including your paperwork concerning your convictions, background information and need for entering Canada. TRPs can be issued for a single or multiple entries to Canada.

Have a question about Entry to Canada? Contact Niren and Associates immigration law firm today.

[gravityform id=1 name=Havea Question? ]
Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago