Types of Canadian Work Permits for Americans

While countries like the United States have a long list of different types of work visas, Canada primarily has two broad types of work visas: those that require a Labour Market Opinion and those that do not require a Labour Market Opinion. A Labour Market Opinion is sometimes called an LMO or a confirmation from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC). 

Who does not need a labour market opinion?

If you are coming to Canada to work under an international agreement and are a business person, investor, professional or a trader, you may not need a labour market opinion. One example of this is a United States citizen who is coming to work in Canada. Under NAFTA (the North American Free Trade Agreement), United States citizens do not need a labour market opinion – with some exceptions.

People working under an active pilot project in Canada as well as their spouses or dependents do not require a labour market opinion.

People who are coming to work in Canada under a Provincial Nominee Program, meaning they have been nominated by a province for permanent residency in Canada, do not need a labour market opinion.

Intra-company transferees and entrepreneurs also do not require a labour market opinion.

The labour market opinion is a form of validation from the Canadian government that bringing a foreign worker to Canada will not adversely affect the economy or job market, but rather benefit it.

US citizens do not need a Labour Market Opinion in some cases

While American citizens do not always require a labour market opinion to work in Canada or obtain a work permit, they do need several things, including a job offer from a Canadian employer. If you have a job offer from a Canadian employer, you may then fill out an Application for a Work Permit in order to work in Canada.

However, even if you are a United States citizen, obtaining a work permit in Canada is not as simple as filing out a single application form. There are many strict requirements you will have to meet before you are even considered. If you are an American citizen or a citizen of a different country, please contact our immigration law firm. We can assess your case and help you determine the best way for you to work in Canada!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago