Pilot project allows temporary foreign workers’ family members to work for any employer in B.C.

Family members of most temporary foreign workers in British Columbia will be able to work for any employer in British Columbia.

Previously, only spouses and common-law partners of temporary foreign workers employed in a managerial, professional or skilled trades job have been eligible to obtain an open work permit in B.C. Thanks to the pilot project launched between Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and British Columbia, however, spouses, common-law partners and working age dependents of most temporary foreign workers will be eligible to receive open work permits. This includes the family members of workers in low-skilled occupations

“More than a million jobs will open up in B.C. by 2020 and we will need foreign workers to help meet the skills shortages our businesses are already beginning to face,” said British Columbia Minister of Jobs, Tourism and Innovation Pat Bell.

The pilot project has begun on August 15, 2011 and will continue until February 15, 2013. It is expected that up to 1,800 open work permits will be available under the pilot project.

To qualify, applicants must meet the following criteria:

–          Be a spouse, common – law partner, or a working-age dependent child (18 to 22 years of age) of certain TFWs who have been issued a valid work permit of at least six months’ duration in B.C.; and

–          Meet all admissibility criteria to enter Canada as a temporary resident.

Family members of live-in caregivers, seasonal agricultural workers, and International Experience Class youth program workers are not eligible under this pilot project.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.