Changes to The Live in Caregiver Program- In-home Caregiver

(Below is a transcription of this video)

Hi, this is Paula from Recent changes announced that the live-in caregiver program have now been implemented. As of November 30th, 2014, families that seek to hire caregivers for child care, elder care or care for the disabled will now have to go through a more complicated process in order to do so. As of November 30th, 2014, the following changes have been made.

Reforms to The Live in Caregiver Program

The living caregiver program is now called in home caregivers. Employers will have the option to hire caregivers, nurses, or aides, depending on the qualification of that job. Caregivers will also have the choice of whether they wish to live in the home of their employer or live out. And if an employer does hire a caregiver to live in their home, that employer cannot deduct from pay or charge the employee for room and board.

Employers must also pay the medium prevailing wage in the city or province that the work is performed in and employers that hire from abroad must advertise their position for a minimum of four weeks and provide evidence of the results of their recruitment efforts. Two streams have been created for caregivers looking to apply for permanent residence with the total of 5,500 applications being accepted per year. Employers must also submit an application for a labor market impact assessment or an LMIA and also pay a $1,000 filing fee. There are no refunds for refusals and refusals cannot be appealed or reconsidered. So it’s imperative that an employer understands and is aware of the requirements of an application before submitting one. For more information, please visit our website,

Book a Consultation Today!

If you have immigration questions about the new In-home Caregiver program, VisaPlace is here to guide you through the immigration process. We work with qualified immigration lawyers who can help you. Contact us to book a consultation.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • marichar atienza

    I’m under student permit here in canada and i applied for post graduate working permit. But it is still on process but an employer wants to hire me under in home caregiver and apply for lmia. If my employer get a positive lmia and i still dont have my post graduate work permit can i apply for a new work permit under one employer. Hope you could give me ideas. Thank you.

    • Vahe Mirzoyan

      Thank you for writing to us Marichar. You are in a lucky position of having a job offer while still studying. It is possible to get the LMIA and work visa processed before your study visa expires, and there would be no need to pursue the Post Graduate Work Permit. Time is of the essence. You can not afford any delays or mistakes that would get your LMIA rejected. I suggest that you use our legal immigration professionals to help with your applications to make sure that you are not making any mistakes, and so that you will have a legal team taking care of all the matters that may arise. Please contact us to book a consultation with one of our immigration professionals. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at
      Regards, Vahe

      • Marichar Atienza

        I submitted already the application for post graduate work permit because my study permit is soon to expire on march 15. So its on the process already and i think its 83 days processing. Can i apply for another work permit with lmia or i should wait for my post graduate work permit?

        • Vahe Mirzoyan

          Hello Marichar. If you feel comfortable waiting, and you are confident that your PGWP will not be rejected, then you can wait. If you are unsure and you want a legal team of immigration professionals to look at your situation, then I am going to suggest that you contact us to make an appointment to talk with one of our immigration professionals who will be able to help you. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at
          Regards, Vahe

  • Charlotte Calipusan

    i am a caregiver looking for an employer in Canada..

    • owen

      Hello Charlotte,

      Thanks for the question. If you have at least one year of full time work experience as a caregiver, then you may be eligible for this program. Also, once you find an employer we can help guide them through the LMIA process which can be quite time consuming. We would be happy to help you immigrate, and once you fill out our free online assessment form, one of our immigration professionals will be in touch with you shortly


The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Completely smooth process. Rania did a great job in my Canada work permit. The team is absolutely competent and knowledgeable. Alicea was so amazing and was able to answer any of my questions immediately. I had peace of mind throughout the application. I would recommend them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications.

Theressa Jaranillain the last week

I highly recommend VisaPlace to anyone seeking help with navigating the legal minefield that is Permanent Residency. As someone who is very easily stressed, Lauren & Mariana have saved me a lot of sleepless nights. They are fast, efficient, reliable and honest and I will be telling any of my friends to use them for immigration. Thanks to them, my future with my husband in Canada is bright

Hannah James2 weeks ago

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugha month ago