Canadian Work Visas for Americans

(Below is a transcription of this video)

Hello. My name is Michael Niren, I’m an immigration lawyer and founder of Today I’m going to talk to our fellow Americans who are interested in getting a Canadian work visa. Canada has a lot of employment opportunities for Americans. Americans are coming to Canada in record numbers seeking employment. Our economy has been pretty resilient, and there are job opportunities for Americans in Canada in various industries.

Americans Seeking Canadian Work Visas

In Canada and the United States, we have what we call the NAFTA agreement, which enables Americans to qualify for work visas, in some cases right at the border, which is great because it’s very quick. They prepare their paperwork and go to the Canadian/U.S. border and present their documents to a Canadian immigration official, who has the ability to approve your work permit right on the spot.

Now, there are some cases where that won’t work, depending upon the kind of job it is and the employer, so NAFTA doesn’t always apply for all work permits. In some cases, you have to go through what we call Service Canada,
the Labor Market Opinion process, and there are different ways of getting work permits for Americans.

Getting a Canadian Work Visa as an American

Generally speaking, you have to have a job offer in Canada. You have to have an employer in Canada who is willing to sponsor you for a work visa. That’s basically an essential unless you are applying for an Intra-Company Transfer, where you are expanding your business overseas, let’s say, in the United States or another country to Canada, in which case you don’t necessarily need a job offer.

Are You Interested in Applying for a Canadian Work Visa?

In any case, there are different options for getting work visas for Americans. If you are interested in learning more, feel free to go to our website at, or you can contact us directly. Thank you, and have a great day.

Contact our experienced team today, and let us help you apply for your Canadian work visa.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugh2 weeks ago

Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!

P Eyre2 weeks ago

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheong4 weeks ago