Who is Eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Program?
Under the recently created Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTC), one is able to obtain permanent residency in Canada by working in a specific trade. The objective of the FSTC is to meet the demands of the Canadian workforce.
Minimum Requirements to Qualify for FSTC Program
In order to be eligible for the new Federal Skilled Trades Program, an applicant must:
- Have offers of employment from up to two employers in Canada of at least one year duration OR a Certificate of Qualification from a provincial or territorial body
- Provide proof of basic language proficiency from a designated language testing organization, demonstrating that the applicant meets the minimum threshold
- Have obtained twenty-four months of qualified work experience in the skilled trade in the last five years; and
- Be able to demonstrate the skills and experience and that they have performed the essential duties of the occupation.
Eligible Skilled Trade Occupations
There are 43 jobs that are currently considered for this immigration stream, and they fall under one of 4 categories.
4 Categories of Occupations for FSTC Applicants
- Industrial, electrical and construction trades
- Maintenance and equipment operation trades
- Supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
- Processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
All of the trades that are eligible are listed here.
Why Legal Help for the Skilled Trade Program is Necessary
This new immigration stream opens lots of new opportunities for qualified individuals, but in order to ensure that applications get processed, there is a cap on how many people can apply.
When it comes to preparing an application, your best chances for success are when you have a legal expert who knows what elements will help convince immigration officers of your qualifications. Do not miss out on being accepted because you’ve missed a simple detail or because you tried to complete a form that was confusing. Trust an immigration lawyer who specializes in navigating the complexities of each unique application bid.
Why Hire Us to Help with Your Skilled Trade Application?
Our lawyers have over 15 years of experience in helping skilled individuals from virtually every country to become permanent residents in Canada. Applying for Canadian immigration will be one of the most important life decisions you will face. Make sure your case is in good hands!
The documentation and processes involved in successfully obtaining Skilled Trade visas are complex and usually require legal expertise.
The first step towards a successful Skilled Trade Program application is getting an assessment of your case. Fill out our immigration assessment form and we will get back to you within 24 hours to discuss your eligibility and options.
As seen on
"VisaPlace referred us to a great law firm and great lawyers. All I can say is "thank you" for getting my visa quickly. VisaPlace knew exactly what kind of legal team could help where other's couldn't. The fees were reasonable and everything went smoothly. Thank you for everything! I would highly recommend VisaPlace and the immigration attorneys they work with to anyone wishing to move to Canada or to the US."
Read All Reviews