My PR card expired outside of Canada

If you have a permanent resident card, you know that it is an important document that allows you to re-enter Canada should you leave it. All PR cards have expiration dates that must be renewed accordingly. The problem many people face when they realize that their PR card has expired while they are outside of Canada, is that you have to be in Canada to renew it.

If your permanent resident card expires while you are outside of Canada, you cannot gain entry to Canada. So what can you do in this situation? Don’t worry, there are steps you can take. There is an option for you.

PR Card Renewal

If your PR card expired while you are outside of the Canada, you need to your closest Canadian consulate and apply for a travel document. This document will allow you to return to Canada and renew your permanent resident card.

If you cannot prove that you meet residency requirements, or if you need assistance in obtaining a travel document, you should speak with a licensed immigration attorney as soon as possible. We are here to help. With over 15 years experience, we can assist you if your PR card has expired while you are outside of Canada. Give us a call!

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Mira Freiwat

    Hello Dhajapal,

    Thank you for your inquiry. This is a common issue that many applicants face with their Permanent Residency Obligation and don’t know how severe the consequences are if they are not met, or, if they do not take the proper actions to ensure that they can still maintain and renew it. I am so glad that you contacted us as we have helped hundreds of applicant’s over the past 20 years maintain their PR even when they have not met the Residency Requirement. Please email me directly at so that I can book a consultation with you and assist you with this. MF

  • dhajapal reddy gone

    I have Canada PR obligations and im outside of Canada. Canada PR expiring on June 15th 2015. im in Canada for 700 Days and how do you help me and what is your charges

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugh2 weeks ago

Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!

P Eyre2 weeks ago

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheong4 weeks ago