Government Drops Live-in Requirement for Caregivers in Canada

(Below is a transcription of this video)

Hi, this is Michael Niren, immigration lawyer and founder of

The federal government recently announced that it’s going to be dropping the live-in requirement for caregivers coming to Canada to care for children and elderly individuals. This is a big development. Traditionally, the live-in caregiver program was such that it required caregivers to live in the homes of Canadians, often for a period of two years, before they qualify to apply for permanent residence. Now there’s a new program that doesn’t require that caregivers live in the house of Canadians.

How the New Program Will Work

They’re dividing the applications into two streams. One is for child care and the other one is for new health care workers. The details will be forthcoming. The good news is that the government promises to process these applications within a six month period, which is much quicker than the current two year processing. These individuals who qualify for the program won’t be separated from their family overseas for so many years. In most cases you get living caregivers applying from the Philippines and these workers are indeed separated from their families for a long time, which is very stressful for them.

This is a good and positive development. It remains to be seen how it’s going to play out. The government will also be imposing an annual cap, I believe of $5,500 per year, which should still accommodate the demand for live-in caregivers or for caregivers now, to Canada. I will keep you posted on any developments of this. Hopefully the program will be successful.

Book a Consultation Today!

If you have immigration questions about the new requirements for caregivers in Canada, VisaPlace is here to guide you through the immigration process. We work with qualified immigration lawyers who can help you. Contact us to book a consultation.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.