New Funded Literacy Program for New Canadian Families
Most families experience a wide range of emotions when they first arrive in Canada. The Canadian immigration process itself can be daunting. Particularly if you have left your home in fear, or after experiencing life changing hardships.
The Citizenship and Immigration Canada Funded Literacy Program
A Citizenship and Immigration Canada funded literacy program helps immigrant families. The program aspires to make your experience of settling into a new country less frightening and confusing. The program is aimed at families with preschool aged children. It’s designed to support you as parents in preparing your young children for kindergarten.
How Does the Program Work?
The program, Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool Youngsters, has already become better known as HIPPY. It is a 30-week program that utilizes the skills and knowledge of Canadian mothers. One of these mothers is paired with you and your family and regularly visits your home. On each visit:
- You get different books.
- Canadian mothers help you design activities to focus on the specific needs of the child or children within your family
- The adults and children read and share stories while taking part in a range of constructive play activities.
One of the key benefits of the program is that it takes place within your home.
Your child is in a safe and secure environment. They feel comfortable and are more likely to feel confident about taking risks in their learning.
The children develop more confident bilingual language and early literacy skills. This minimizes the risk of difficulties once they begin kindergarten. Being able to comprehend instructions and communicating will minimize fear and frustration. It also helps in avoiding potential behavioural problems both in the short and long term.
- Immigrant parents (particularly mothers) can feel extremely isolated when they first enter the country. Few speak the language. They often have little contact with people outside of their own communities.
- Regular visits from a Canadian mother can be a fantastic opportunity to practice your own language skills. You also take part in social, as well as educational, activities.
- Parents with better language skills are more likely to become involved with their children’s education and be more approachable at the school.
- You as the parent gain a sense of independence, while you gain greater control over your children’s educational journey.
- Providing new opportunities for those that have recently arrived in the country is essential for our communities to grow and thrive.
Are You Interested in Immigrating to Canada?
If you have immigration questions and are interested in immigrating to Canada, we may have the answers you seek. We work with qualified immigration lawyers who can help. Contact us to book a consultation.
The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.
Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.
Working with the team as VisaPlace and their trusted partners was an incredibly wonderful experience! The team is extremely knowledgeable, responsive and has the partnerships to get the job done in an efficient and timely manner. Will definitely call them again should I have more visa requirements, issues or questions!!
Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.