Get Answers to Your Visa Questions! Call 1.866.929.0991

US & Canada Immigration News

Fill out our immigration assessment form and we will get back to you within 24 hours to discuss your eligibility and immigration options.

Can I Travel to Canada with a Criminal Record?

(Below is a transcription of this video)

Can I come to Canada with a criminal record? We get a lot of people asking us, what if I have a criminal record? Can I still get a visa? Can I enter Canada? Hello everyone, my name is Hishgee Bessey of If you’re planning to apply for a permanent or a temporary status in Canada and you were charged or convicted of a criminal offense, you maybe found inadmissible to Canada. That means you can’t get in. Even if you are from a visa exempt country, you will be denied entry at the airport or at the land border if you are found inadmissible. This could be a problem especially if you are into your trip and spend money and time to travel. More importantly, you may not be able to attend the urgent and/or important matter. If you do not deal with your criminality, you should prior to your arrival.

Traveling to Canada with a Criminal Record

If you’re charged of any crime outside Canada regardless whether you’re charged was withdrawn or pardoned and you had a conditional sentence, you may be found inadmissible to Canada. But there’s a hope, depending on the nature of your visit and trip, and available time to address the concern, there are two options.

Applying for a Temporary Resident Permit

Option 1, for people who intend to visit Canada urgently due to work related matter or emergency family issues etc. If you’re in a such situation, you may be able to address your inadmissibility at the airport or at the Canadian consulate by submitting a temporary resident permit application or known as TRP. As the name suggests, it is a temporary solution and may allow you to enter Canada only once.

Criminal Rehabilitation Application

Second option, is criminal rehabilitation application, will allow you to remove your inadmissibility to Canada from your records, so in the future you may be able to travel to Canada with no obstruction. These applications are submitted to the consulate or visa office overseas, and it may take many months for processing. But if you approach this solution as permanent, if you have a past criminal record and want to cross the border, I suggest you to consider consulting immigration professionals to avoid any complication that may arise during the processing.

I hope my video was helpful and if you liked it, please click like and subscribe for more Canadian immigration videos.

Are You Interested in Traveling to Canada With a Criminal Record?

Normally, if you have a criminal record, you will not be allowed to enter Canada, unless you know how to prepare the ‘right’ paperwork. If you have a ‘reason’ to travel to Canada that is justified in the circumstances, you may be issued a temporary resident permit (TRP). The big question is, do you know how fill a TRP application? Although its possible to file the application on your own, we do not recommend it.

At Visaplace, we have assisted a lot people to successfully attain a TRP so they can visit, work, or study in Canada and we are certain we can help you too!

Getting started is easy, simply fill our free online immigration assessment form here and we will get back to you (within 24 hours) to discuss your options.

It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

4 thoughts on “Can I Travel to Canada with a Criminal Record?

  1. lamar

    was deported from uk 6years ago can I go to canada

    1. Immigration Lawyers

      Hi Lamar,
      You may be able to come to Canada again even if you’ve been denied in the past. Hiring an immigration lawyer will help you get answers to all of your questions, plus it will increase the chance of getting a visa approved. Please, complete this form for me it is just a quick and easy way for me to learn more details about your situation so that I will be able to advise you accurately and determine the best avenue for us to take to give you the best legal advice.

      The above response is for informational purposes only and does not form a lawyer-client relationship nor should it be construed to be legal advice.

  2. Anonymous

    I have tried twice for tourist visa for usa and they denied if I apply as a student visa to Canada will they reject or wat will be the outcome

    1. Muga Rajbhandari

      Hello. Visa denials may affect your future applications due to the uncertainty that they may have caused. I am going to suggest that you contact us to make an appointment to talk with one of our immigration professionals who will be able to plan the best strategy for you. You can book an appointment by calling us at 1-855-886-8472 or online at
      Regards, Muga


Leave a Comment:

Your email address will not be published.


The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.