Can I Immigrate to Canada With a DUI?

(Below is a transcription of this video)

Hi, my name is Michael Niren. I’m an immigration lawyer, and founder of We got another question regarding immigration to Canada. In
this case, can I immigrate to Canada if I have a DUI? This is a similar
question we received about can you immigrate to Canada if I have a criminal
record, but this question was specifically about a DUI.

Immigrating to Canada With a DUI

Now, generally speaking, a DUI will render you inadmissible. If you have a
conviction for drinking and driving, under Canadian law, that could result
in a finding of inadmissibility and you would be prevented from immigration
to Canada.

However, depending on when the offense occurred, it’s possible that you
could apply for what we call criminal rehabilitation. If it happened five
years ago, or the last day you served your sentence was five years ago or
longer, there’s a possibility that you could qualify for rehabilitation,
which is an application that you make in addition to your immigration
application. If your offense was more recent or if you had more than one
offense, you may need a TRP, a Temporary Resident Permit, which is a
special permit that would allow you entry despite that you’re inadmissible.

So it really depends on the nature of the offense in terms of, you know,
how many, how long ago, when’s the last day you served your sentence.
There’s a lot of factors you have to keep in mind to determine whether or
not you’d qualify for immigration if you had a DUI.

Let Us Access Your DUI Case

So, the first step is to, obviously, investigate the conviction and
evaluate it. And of course, you have to first also know, if you qualify for
immigration, because even if your DUI charge is something that can be dealt
with, you may not even qualify for immigration unless you have the
credentials for that. So that’s two things that have to be taken into
account. Hopefully, that gave you some idea. And thank you and have a…

Contact our experienced team today, and let us help you with your Temporary Residence Visa matters.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Completely smooth process. Rania did a great job in my Canada work permit. The team is absolutely competent and knowledgeable. Alicea was so amazing and was able to answer any of my questions immediately. I had peace of mind throughout the application. I would recommend them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications.

Theressa Jaranillaa week ago

I highly recommend VisaPlace to anyone seeking help with navigating the legal minefield that is Permanent Residency. As someone who is very easily stressed, Lauren & Mariana have saved me a lot of sleepless nights. They are fast, efficient, reliable and honest and I will be telling any of my friends to use them for immigration. Thanks to them, my future with my husband in Canada is bright

Hannah James3 weeks ago

Visa place is the best!!! I use Yasmeen to do paperwork work for my mom to come to Canada and she was amazing. Very helpful and always reply to your email promptly. My experience was awesome everything was a success and I will recommend VISA PLACE to anyone who want quick and successful results. Thank to all the team at Visa Place but a special thank you to Yasmeen again.

Donnica Waugha month ago