Can I Renew my Permanent Residency Card if I lived in the US with my Canadian Spouse?

Canadian Permanent Residency Card Renewal Question

Hi, I’m a spouse of a Canadian citizen and we live in the USA as my husband works there. My Permanent Residency card is expiring in August, when can I apply for a new one? Does the time spent abroad with a Canadian citizen count towards Canadian residency?  Can I also apply for a Canadian citizenship and a Canadian passport on the same grounds as my time has been completed if I count the two years we have spend abroad because of his work in the US?Regards,Yamina


Canadian Permanent Residency Card Renewal Information

Hi Yamina,

Yes you can renew your Permanent Residency Card in this situation given that you are outside of Canada with your Canadian spouse. The days you are outside Canada can count towards your days for maintaining your permanent residence.  However, these rules do not apply for Canadian citizenship. Unless your husband is working for a the Canadian government or agency abroad, your days outside of Canada will not be counted towards Canadian citizenship.

[gravityform id=1 name=Havea Question? ]

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.