Federal Skilled Worker Program Updated Occupation List For 2013
The wait is finally over for the new eligible occupations under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) that will be effective May 4, 2013.
New Requirements under the 2013 Federal Skilled Worker Program
While Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will not be accepting applications for the 24 eligible occupations until May 4, 2013, there are some new requirements that applicants can start preparing for, such as language tests and foreign educational credential assessments.
A prospective applicant should ensure they meet at least one of the following requirements:
- They have at least one year of continuous work experience in one of the 24 eligible occupations;
- They have a qualifying offer of arranged; or
- They are eligible to apply through the PhD stream.
If prospective applicants are confident that they meet at least one of the above requirements, they must also meet the minimum language threshold and obtain an educational credential assessment (if submitting a foreign educational credential) as well as meet the minimium 67 points out of 100.
Eligible Occupations List
The eligible occupations stream will have an overall cap of 5,000 new applications and sub-caps of 300 applications in each of the 24 occupations on the list.
Eligible occupations (with their corresponding 2011 National Occupation Classification code):
- 0211 Engineering managers
- 1112 Financial and investment analysts
- 2113 Geoscientists and oceanographers
- 2131 Civil engineers
- 2132 Mechanical engineers
- 2134 Chemical engineers
- 2143 Mining engineers
- 2144 Geological engineers
- 2145 Petroleum engineers
- 2146 Aerospace engineers
- 2147 Computer engineers (except software engineers/designers)
- 2154 Land surveyors
- 2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers
- 2243 Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics
- 2263 Inspectors in public and environmental health and occupational health and safety
- 3141 Audiologists and speech-language pathologists
- 3142 Physiotherapists
- 3143 Occupational Therapists
- 3211 Medical laboratory technologists
- 3212 Medical laboratory technicians and pathologists’ assistants
- 3214 Respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists
- 3215 Medical radiation technologists
- 3216 Medical sonographers
- 3217 Cardiology technicians and electrophysiological diagnostic technologists, n.e.c. (not elsewhere classified)
Important factors for the Skilled Worker Program
- CIC will accept 5,000 applications in total from May 4, 2013 to April 30, 2014, in the eligible occupations stream.
- Within the 5,000 applications, CIC will only accept 300 in each priority occupation.
- In the PhD stream, CIC will accept 1,000 applications from May 4, 2013 to April 30, 2014.
- There is no cap on applications with a qualifying job offer.
- As of May 4, applicants must use the new application kit and meet the new requirements in order to apply.
- Applications received by CIC on or after May 4 that do NOT include the necessary Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) or do not meet the minimum language threshold requirements will be returned as incomplete.
Are You Interested in Applying to the Federal Skilled Worker Program?
Please contact us so we can assess your situation and see if you qualify under this route.
The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.
Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.
Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.
Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.