Doctor leaves Canada for the United States due to Immigration Delays

Dr. Ashish Marwaha, a British doctor whose degree comes from Oxford University, told CBC News that he’s ditching Canada because of delays and immigration red tape preventing him from working in British Columbia as a doctor.

Marwaha missed his chance to apply for residence (all doctors who graduate must complete residency) because his immigration paperwork took too long to arrive in the mail. The paperwork in question was his proof of Canadian Permanent Residence, which was required to apply for a job.

The timeline for Dr. Marwaha’s application went like this: he lived in Canada for a year and then applied for permanent resident status as required to operate as a foreign-trained doctor in Canada. However, the approval took six months, but the letter itself came much after it was dated, and too late for his post-graduate residency application.

Six to twelve months is the average time it takes to process such applications, but now Dr. Marwaha is heading to the United States.

The Canadian postal service is not an exact science, and neither are Immigration Visa processing times. So the lesson here is that apply early and complete the application correctly.   Unfortunately for Dr. Marwaha, he was applying in British Columbia where the process for much-needed foreign doctors is not as streamlined as in Ontario.

In Ontario, international medical graduates must either be Canadian citizens, permanent residents or intending to immigrate to Canada, where a copy of your application for permanent residence status or a signed letter stating intent to apply to immigrate to Canada is valid in order to get started according to the Ontario Centre for the Evaluation of Health Professionals Educated Abroad.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Here’s my good advice; Lawyer up. ...and if your looking for a group of lawyers to help with your international affairs regarding visas and work permits; these professionals are top notch. I’ve had a great experience, they got the job done, and my job was very complicated. Rania Abboud, high five to you especially, you set up a great plan for success, replied to my questions very quickly, kept me informed and your very knowledgeable in your field. To everyone else at VisaPlace; Thank you as well. As a business owner myself I immediately recognized the way your team works so effectively! I wish you all the best of success. J.

Jason Mayerin the last week

The team at the Visa place as very thorough in the preparation of my application which I am sure made a difference. They guided the process well to a successful outcome. Would recommend them for sure.

Brad Davies2 weeks ago

I hired them for my study permit application! I had been denied twice and thanks to them the 3rd try was a success. Lisa Inspektor was my main contact. She is Very nice and polite. I strongly recommend you to go with them! The money you’re gonna spend is gonna be worth it

landry walker3 weeks ago