New Regulations for International Students Starting from June 1, 2014

There have been new regulations put in place that will aim to strengthen Canada’s status as a study destination of choice for potential international students that will take place on June 1 2014. This program will heighten the level of services to the genuine students and will protect Canada’s international reputation for high quality education and will diminish the potential for fraud and misuse of the program.

This is a summary of all changes:

Current regulations Regulations as of June 1, 2014
  • Applicants must show that they intend to pursue studies in Canada when applying for a study permit.
  • Applicants must enroll in and continue to pursue studies in Canada.  Failure to do so could lead to removal from Canada.
  • Applicants may apply for a study permit to pursue studies at any educational institution in Canada.
  • Study permits will only be issued to successful applicants who are pursuing studies at an educational institution that has been designated to receive international students.
  • Study permit holders pursuing studies at publicly-funded and certain privately-funded post-secondary institutions must apply for an Off-Campus Work Permit to be able to work up to 20 hours per week off-campus during the academic session and full-time during scheduled breaks.
  • Study permits will automatically authorize the holder to work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week during the academic session and full-time during scheduled breaks without the need to apply for a separate work permit. The study permit holder must be pursuing academic, vocational or professional training of six months or more that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate at a designated institution.
  • Any international student can apply for a Co-Op Work Permit if a co-op placement is an integral element of their course of study.
  • Only international students who are pursuing studies at a secondary school or at a designated institution may apply for a Co-Op Work Permit if a co-op placement is an integral part of their course of study.
  • Visitors may not apply for a study permit from within Canada
  • Visitors may apply for a study permit from within Canada if they are at the pre-school, primary or secondary level, are on an academic exchange or a visiting student at a designated learning institution, or have completed a course or program of study that is a condition for acceptance at a designated learning institution.
  • International students who have completed their studies but hold valid study permits can remain legally in Canada until the expiration of their study permit.
  • A study permit becomes invalid 90 days following the completion of studies unless the foreign national also possesses a valid work permit or another authorization to remain in Canada.
  • There are no references in existing regulations that clearly state that Registered Indians who are also foreign nationals are exempt from the requirement to obtain a study permit.
  • Registered Indians who are also foreign nationals may study in Canada without a study permit as they have the right of entry into Canada.
  • Study permit holders are not authorized to work after the completion of their studies while awaiting approval of their Post-Graduation Work Permit
  • Eligible international graduates will be authorized to work full-time after their studies are completed until a decision is made on their application for a Post-Graduation Work Permit.
Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

  • Tim

    Hi all,

    I am a visitor in Canada and now I am going to apply for study permit from Canadian Consulate, Los Angeles by mail. My question is do I need to send my original passport alongwith application forms and other documents? or they will ask for original passport later on?

    • owen

      Hello Tim,

      At this point in the process your original passport is typically not required to be submitted. Please let us know if you have any more questions.


  • mariam

    please I wish to ask about the other international students studying here in Canada does the rule apply to them as well as from 1st june as mentioned above? Or do we they have to still apply for work permit as well.

    • Hi Mariam,

      Thank you for your post. To apply for a study permit on or after June 1, 2014, you must meet the standard eligibility criteria for a study permit. You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your: tuition fees; living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada; and return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.

      New rules that take effect on June 1, 2014, make it easier for study permit holders to work off campus. Full-time students pursuing an academic, professional or vocational training program at a designated learning institution will be: eligible to work off campus without a work permit; allowed to work off campus for up to 20 hours per week during a regular academic session and full time during regularly scheduled breaks; and able to work off campus immediately rather than waiting six months.

      To be able to work in Canada, however, you must be registered and enrolled at your designated learning institution, and you must get a Social Insurance Number from Service Canada.

      Please fill out our free assessment and we will help you determine your eligibility under the new rules and regulations for international students.



  • Amil

    Dear Sir

    I want to ask you some doubts regarding FSWP before starting application with you. If you can clear these doubts then we can apply in this stream.

    Work experience:-

    I have been working in merchant navy as Electrical Officer since Jan 2008. The nature of this job is such that we cannot work on ship round the year. so normally we use to work 5-6 months onboard and 3-4 months on leave without pay.

    My doubt is whether my full 6 years experience would be counted or not.

    As this job is not similar to other jobs. Technically it should be counted because when we are on ship we are 24 hours available on ship to tackle any emergency if arises. One more thing is that all this experience is with one company only.


    I did 3 year Diploma in electrical eng after matriculation (10th).
    Then I did 3years degree(B.E) in same stream.

    Whether I can claim 22 points instead of 21 for these two credentials.

    Please advice


    • Sarah Jane MacDonald

      Hello Amil,
      Thank you for your great post. Your questions are very specific so I have passed your inquiry along our Canadian Immigration Team. You will be contacted soon via the email address that you have provided.

      Best Regards,
      Sarah Jane

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Spectacular experience. Completely smooth process, they were able to answer any of my questions any time and I had peace of mind throughout the application time, which was invaluable. I have recommended them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications, and will continue to do so. Worth every penny.

Faith Cheongin the last week

Here, I would like to say thank you so very much for your kind support on extension my visit visa. I am touched and beyond words, I am grateful and thankful for your always help and cooperation. Have a wonderful day.

Setareh Rasaeiin the last week

Great law firm with great staff. My lawyer Rania did a great job for my Canadian work permit and my daughters study permit. You are great in your work. And my Para Legal officer Alicea, you are just amazing. They did not rest until my job was promptly and properly done. Always there to answer my calls, reply my emails promptly. She tried her best and the results were amazing. I recommend visa place if you need the best immigration job. Many thanks to Rania and Alicea.

Charity Musa2 months ago