Visiting the United States for business?

If you have an upcoming business meeting in the United States, you may not realize that you might require a special visa in order to be allowed into the country to attend that business meeting or other type of business event. If you need to enter the US for a business event, you might be looking for the B1 business visitor visaCan Canadians Do Business in The United States

While often lumped in with the United States work visas, the B1 business visitor visa is not a work visa and in fact, is quite different from a United States work visa. Applicants for the B1 business visitor visa must actually be able to prove to border officials that they will not be working in the United States along with several other things.

What is a B1 business visitor visa for?

There are very specific activities that are allowed on the B1 business visitor visa. These activities are not working for a United States employer, but are instead conducting business within the United States for your foreign employer. They include buying property in the United States, negotiating contracts, attending business conferences or conventions and attending business meetings.

What are the requirements for a B1 business visitor visa?

Someone who wants to apply for a B1 business visitor visa may do so at the US-Canada border if they are a Canadian, but they need to prove to the border officials they will only be engaged in the business activities that are allowed on this visa.

In addition, they must prove that they will return to their home country after their business activity is concluded. This means you must prove to the border officials you have sufficient reason to return home when you’re done, including family in Canada, work in Canada or a home in Canada.

This is not an easy visa to apply for because the definitions for what type of activities are allowed are often unclear. Contact our immigration law firm for assistance in figuring out if you need a B1 business visa or a US work visa.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

Migrating is a hard task for anyone. Finding a job is even harder. Once I got a job offer, things started moving rapidly. So, I called used VisaPlace (Niren and associates) to assist with the process. Rania and Richard deserve the utmost respect in getting the job done. They have been patient with me and some set backs. Very professional.! Hands down, money was well spent. Thanks Rania and Richard, you make an awesome team. You'll definitely have a repeat customer with me !! I was very impressed at how well they were organized and had a positive experience. Very good and professional work led to a successful outcome. I highly recommend using VisaPlace.

RenaisTTa week ago

I'll like to say I had an awesome initial consultation with Rania Abboud. She was knowledgeable, made the initial process easy and understood my situation. I am excited and hopeful to continue consulting this company. You do a great job for immigrants. Also, Natalie Walcz was great, she handled my situation professionally. Great team. Definitely assets to your company.

Jeffery Yirenkyi2 weeks ago

Completely smooth process. Rania did a great job in my Canada work permit. The team is absolutely competent and knowledgeable. Alicea was so amazing and was able to answer any of my questions immediately. I had peace of mind throughout the application. I would recommend them to other friends looking for assistance with their applications.

Theressa Jaranillaa month ago