I have a business meeting in the United States

The United States is an important hub of international business, and as such many business people travel to the United States every year in order to attend important business events. But even if you are a Canadian citizen, you may require a special type of visa in order to come to the United States for a business meeting or other event. Business Meeting in the US

This visa is the B1 business visitor visa, which is only for specific business purposes, like a business meeting. It is not always easy to tell if you will require a business visitor visa or a work permit for your activities in the United States, so read on.

What do I need a business visitor visa for?

You can obtain a business visitor visa if you need to attend a business meeting, consult with associates, attend a conference, attend a convention, investigate business opportunities or purchase property in the United States.

This will allow you to enter the United States temporarily for the duration of your business activities, and this is just a small sampling of the activities allowed.

In order to obtain a B1 business visitor visa, you will need to provide evidence of certain things using supporting documentation. The biggest thing to focus on is that you need to demonstrate to immigration authorities that you are not intending to engage in activities that will require you to obtain a work permit.

Some examples of the required supporting documents include evidence of your strong ties to Canada in the form of bank records, employment information, property records, information about your family or anything else that indicates you will return to Canada after your business trip.

You will also need evidence that you are entering the United States to engage in permissible B1 business visitor visa activities, which can be shown with a letter from the organization that has invited you to the United States as well as a letter from your Canadian employer.

Michael Niren

About Michael Niren

Michael is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association’s Citizenship and Immigration Section and the Associate Member of the American Bar Association. Read more

The content and comments of this blog are not legal advise and and may not be accurate or complete. If you require legal advice, contact a licensed legal practitioner directly. If you post on this blog, you assume full responsibility for disclosing your identity to the public and VisaPlace nor its affiliates are not responsible for protecting your privacy nor your identity concerning your participation in our blog and you assume any risks in participating.

Customer Reviews

The team here is wonderful. They are so professional and capable of handling any immigration matters. I just received my Work Permit thanks to them. Thanks Alicea again for helping me! I highly highly recommend to try their services ❤❤

Cao My Duyena week ago

Money well spent! Very professional and thoughtful. I had a need to visit their office and was pleasantly surprised and was treated very cordially. My wife’s work permit came in several months early as did her permanent residency. Thank you Lisa and Laura!

Brian Bedford3 weeks ago

The agency is very capable and have a lot experience to handle USA immigration issues. My I -601 case was approved because of their help. I strongly recommend this wonderful agency.

James Yu2 weeks ago